Lins Law Group, P.A.
Serving Families of Tampa Bay for Over 25 Years

In Florida, can a non-resident serve as Personal Representative of a Probate Estate?

As with many things in estate law, the answer is that "it depends." In certain cases, the answer is "yes" (but this also implies that in other cases, the answer is "no").

Section 733.304, Fla. Stat. provides that a person who is not domiciled in the state cannot qualify as personal representative unless the person is:

(1) A legally adopted child or adoptive parent of the decedent;

(2) Related by lineal consanguinity to the decedent;

(3) A spouse or a brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece of the decedent, or someone related by lineal consanguinity to any such person; or

(4) The spouse of a person otherwise qualified under this section.

If the person to be nominated as Personal Representative does not fall into one of the four categories listed above, then they cannot serve. This is true even if all interested parties are in agreement--the person simply is not eligible and cannot qualify.

In doing your estate planning, you should discuss this issue with your estate lawyer so that your Will has persons who can qualify as Personal Representative.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Attorney Michael Lins
ยป View Attorney Profile
At Lins Law Group, P.A., we support members of all branches of the military, including active-duty, reserve and veterans. Thank you for your service!

We Can Resolve Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy