In Florida, what can a parent as natural guardian do without court approval?

Parents of a minor child can act as natural guardians of their minor child and can act in certain limited ways without court involvement. 

Section 744.301, Fla. Stat. provides that when the amounts received, in the aggregate, do not exceed $15,000, no court approval is needed and natural guardians are authorized, on behalf of any of their minor children, to:

(a) Settle and consummate a settlement of any claim or cause of action accruing to any of their minor children for damages to the person or property of any of said minor children;

(b) Collect, receive, manage, and dispose of the proceeds of any such settlement;

(c) Collect, receive, manage, and dispose of any real or personal property distributed from an estate or trust;

(d) Collect, receive, manage, and dispose of and make elections regarding the proceeds from a life insurance policy or annuity contract payable to, or otherwise accruing to the benefit of, the child; and

(e) Collect, receive, manage, dispose of, and make elections regarding the proceeds of any benefit plan as defined by s. 710.102, of which the minor is a beneficiary, participant, or owner.

When the amounts involved exceed $15,000, then court approval must be obtained. In that instance, representation by legal counsel is needed.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

We Can Resolve Your Legal Issues

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Location

14497 North Dale Mabry Hwy
Suite 160-N
Tampa, FL 33618

Phone: 813-280-0082 (AT)
Fax: 813-968-9426
Tampa Law Office Map