What can I do if Grandma has no power of attorney and becomes incompetent?

Estate planning lawyers often recommend that clients establish certain key documents. Among those are a Durable Power of Attorney ("POA"). This instrument allows a person to designate an agent to act for them in the event of incapacity. 

If a person becomes incapacitated and has no POA, then there's a problem. Decisions and action may be needed but no one, including Grandma, may be able to address them. If the person lacks capacity to sign a POA, then the only option may be to establish a guardianship for the person. A guardianship can be of the person and of the property, or both.

So by example, take a situation where Grandma suffers a stroke. If Grandma has established a POA appointing someone to make decisions and to act for her, then the appointed agent should be able to do what's necessary. However, if Grandma has no POA and is incapacitated to the point where she lacks capacity to sign a POA, then a guardianship may be needed. Otherwise, Grandma cannot manage her own affairs and no one has the power and authority to act for her.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

We Can Resolve Your Legal Issues

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Location

14497 North Dale Mabry Hwy
Suite 160-N
Tampa, FL 33618

Phone: 813-280-0082 (AT)
Fax: 813-968-9426
Tampa Law Office Map